Following the most recent COVID-19 guidance released by GNB, the following mandatory regulations are now in place for all KVBA basketball activities until further notice:
- All players and coaches born before June 30th, 2009 must show proof of vaccination to participate in indoor sporting activities. Proof of vaccination must include two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine. Note that printable vaccination records are available through the MyHealthNB portal.
- Players born after June 30th 2009 will have until Oct 31st, 2021 or their 12th birthday, whichever is later, to show their proof of vaccination.
- Proof of vaccination will be confirmed prior to entering facilities for first practices, tryouts, or open gym times.
- Standard COVID-19 screening will be performed at each basketball session as usual.
- No adults besides coaches and screening volunteers are permitted in the facilities.
- Following the current guidelines set forth by ASD-S for community use of its schools for indoor youth sports (link), players and coaches are required to wear masks when entering and exiting the schools, and players may remove their masks when actively participating in basketball activities. Forthcoming information from GNB's Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (EECD) should clarify how masking guidelines for community youth sports in schools are to be consolidated with the masking information set out in the Healthy and Safe Schools guidelines.
As our KVBA families from last season are well aware, KVBA established a set of COVID-19 safety protocols under our 2020 operational Return to Basketball Plan with the goal of ensuring the safe return of our players to basketball activities.
Despite the progress that has been made in managing the pandemic through vaccination, vigilance is still required to protect our young players. To continue to adhere with guidance from GNB and the Department of Education, several of the protocols from last season will remain in place for the upcoming season that will utilize public school gyms once again (e.g. player screening & sign-ins, masked entry/exit from facilities, reduced spectator attendance).
Additionally, KVBA will fully adhere to the recent regulations released from GNB and adopted by Basketball New Brunswick (BNB) in regards to mandatory vaccination of our volunteers and players aged 12 and older. For more information, please refer to the following article outlining BNB's adoption of the mandatory vaccination policy.
KVBA will continue to update our families as more information is released by GNB and BNB.